Friday, August 26, 2011

sting

It is not a question of God allowing or not allowing things to happen. It is part of living. Some things we do to ourselves, other things we do to each other. God knows about every bird which falls to the ground, but God does not always prevent it from falling. What are we to learn from this? That our response to what happens is more important than what happens. Here is a mystery: one man’s experience drives him to curse God, while another man’s identical experience drives him to bless God. Your response to what happens is more important than what happens.
Chip Brogden


A pupil of mine was hit by a car on Thursday. He was on a motorcycle with a neighbour who offered a lift home. They were not wearing helmets. The neighbour had a single cut under the chin. My boy was not so lucky. His head hit the highway divider and his skull was partially damaged. He is 12, the neighbour is 13. I was the first one who arrived at the ER after they took him to the hospital. I wanted to make sure whether he would be alright. The docs let me in. I was there holding his arm, witnessing before he went totally unconscious until today.

I taught him when he was 10. A familiar boy to me for he is in the club that I am in-charge in. That Thursday morning, he participated in the Quran recital. He came in full dressed in Baju Melayu. I bounced into him on his way to the hall, fully dressed with his songkok and the Quran clad in his arms to his chest, wishing me a salam with a happy smile. When I heard that it was him in the accident, that happy image of him came across my mind.

I left the ER after his mother arrived. While I was driving, I felt this some sort of pain inside of me, which I cannot really tell where. And I broke down. I was devastated...and I cannot write anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment